History of Yangon

History of Yangon 

The city of ‘Yangon’ was founded by King Alaungphaya in the 18th century.

The name ‘Yangon’ has been translated as ‘The end of strife’.

The British captured Yangon during the First Anglo-Burmese War (1824 – 1826). And British established Yangon as the political and commercial center of British Burma after the Second Anglo-Burmese War 1852.

Yangon is also known as Rangoon because of the British pronunciation of Yangon.

Based on the design by the British Army engineer Alexander Fraser, the British constructed a new city on delta land, incorporating two artificial lakes ‘Royal Lake & Lake Victoria’ to provide clean water supply (1882 – 1883).

The British also establish hospitals including Rangoon General Hospital and Rangoon University.

Downtown Yangon’s Road Layout follows a grid pattern, south to north roads : one broad 100-foot (30 m) wide broad road, two narrow streets, one mid-size street, two more narrow streets, and then another 100-foot (30 m) wide broad road. This order is repeated from west to east. The narrow streets are numbered; the medium and broad roads are named.

Soon after Burma’s independence in 1948, local names replaced old colonial names including Kandawgyi Lake (Royal Lake), Inya Lake (Lake Victoria), Anawratha Road (Fraser Road), Bogyoke Aung San Market (Scott’s Market) and more. And Yangon became the capital of the Union of Burma.

In 2005, the political Capital of Myanmar was moved to Naypyidaw (North 230 miles from Yangon).